Want to be the first to hear latest news and find out about our exclusive promotions.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter:
Cantata No.4 Christ lag in Todes Banden (BWV 4) (Vocal Score)
Bach, Johann Sebastian
J S Bach Cantata No.4 Christ lag in Todes Banden (BWV 4) (Vocal Score)
Christ lag in Todes Banden (Christ lay by death enshrouded / Christ lay in grim death's prison ) BWV 4
Cantata for Easter Sunday
- Urtext of the New Bach Edition.
- Original German text with English singing translation.
- Idiomatic and easy-to-play piano reduction.
- Performance material (BA10004), vocal score (BA10004-90) & study score (TP1004) available for sale
Our editions of Bach Cantatas offer the authoritative text of the New Bach Edition meeting Bärenreiter Urtext standards. No group of works in Johann Sebastian Bach’s output is as wide-ranging as the cantatas. This is hardly surprising considering that for over five years Bach was required to compose a work, or at least re-work an existing one, for every Sunday and festival of the church year, as well as for numerous secular occasions such as council inaugurations, school and university celebrations and royal birthdays.
Unfortunately, not all cantatas have survived. However, over 200 sacred and secular works exist and form a corpus of works suitable for all possible occasions. This rich musical heritage is still as relevant today as it was then.
- Sinfonia: Christ lay in grim death's prison BWV 4 [Bach, Johann Sebastian]
- Versus 1: Christ lag in Todes Banden (Christ lay by death enshrouded) [Bach, Johann Sebastian]
- Versus 2: Den Tod niemand zwingen kunnt (Oh Death non could thee subdue [Bach, Johann Sebastian]
- Versus 3: Jesus Christus, Gottes Sohn (Jesus Christ, our God's own son) [Bach, Johann Sebastian]
- Versus 4: Es war ein wunderlicher Krieg (It was a wonderful array) [Bach, Johann Sebastian]
- Versus 5: Hie ist das rechte Osterlamm (The Easter Lamb for us was slain) [Bach, Johann Sebastian]
- Versus 6: So feiren wir das hohe Fest (So let us keep this holy feast) [Bach, Johann Sebastian]
- Versus 7: Wir essen und wir leben wohl (We celebrate this Holy Feast) [Bach, Johann Sebastian]