Want to be the first to hear latest news and find out about our exclusive promotions.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter:
Don Giovanni (K.527) (Vocal Score, hardback)
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
Mozart Don Giovanni (K.527) (Vocal Score, hardback)
In early 1787 Mozart made his first visit to Prague, where he attended a performance of Le nozze di Figaro on 17 January and conducted the performance five days later. Thoroughly impressed by the huge success of his opera and the personal triumphs he had enjoyed during his visit, he and his wife left the city on 7 February, but not before he had concluded a contract to write a new opera for the next season. This contract, signed with Pasquale Bondini, the director of Count Nostitz’s National Theater, led to the composition of his first opera for Prague, Don Giovanni (K. 527). Ever since its première on 29 October 1787, the opera has moved audiences over and over again and has occupied a special position in Mozart’s rich and variegated output for the stage.
This practical vocal score of Mozart’s towering operatic masterpiece, Don Giovanni, contains the original Prague version of 1787, whose musical and dramatic unity makes it infinitely preferable to any “mixed version”.
His changes for the Vienna performances of 1788 are reproduced in an appendix.
The vocal score incorporates the recent research findings published in the critical report to the “New Mozart Edition” (II/5/17, 2003), thereby satisfying the most discerning reader.
- Vocal score based on the Urtext of the “New Mozart Edition”
- Clear and uncluttered appearance on the page
- Straightforward piano reduction
- Original Italian words underlaid with a German translation
- Bilingual preface (German/English) with notes on the work and performance practice
- Full score (BA4550-01), vocal score (BA4550-90 paperback, BA4550-93 hardback), study score format 22.5 x 16.5cm (TP279) available for sale
- Performance material (BA4550-72) available for hire