Want to be the first to hear latest news and find out about our exclusive promotions.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter:
L'incoronazione di Poppea (Coronation of Poppea) (Full Score)
Monteverdi L'incoronazione di Poppea (Coronation of Poppea) (Full Score)
L’incoronazione di Poppea, Claudio Monteverdi’s final opera, had a formative impact on the evolution of this genre. Yet its convoluted source situation makes it one of music history’s great enigmas. There are practically no references to the original version that Monteverdi performed in Venice in 1643, as the score has not survived.
To celebrate the 450th anniversary of Monteverdi’s birth, this operatic masterpiece is appearing in an edition close to the presumed original. The new edition is based on the score prepared in Venice and found among the possessions of Francesco Cavalli.
This scholarly edition came about due to a remarkable project at the University of North Texas; it was compiled and edited by Hendrik Schulze and his students on the basis of the latest research findings concerning source evaluation, performance practice and the historical context.
- Detailed Introduction to questions regarding sources and interpretation (Eng/Ger)
- Extensive critical apparatus (Eng)
- Libretto edited by Nicola Badolato with text translations (Ital/Eng/Ger)
- Appendix with alternative readings from the Naples source
- Full score (BA8792) and vocal score (BA8792-90) available for sale
- Performance material (BA8792-72) available for hire