Want to be the first to hear latest news and find out about our exclusive promotions.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter:
L'incoronazione di Poppea (Coronation of Poppea) (Vocal Score)
Monteverdi L'incoronazione di Poppea (Coronation of Poppea) (Vocal Score)
Opera regia with a prologue and three acts
L’incoronazione di Poppea, Claudio Monteverdi’s final opera, had a formative impact on the evolution of this genre. Yet its convoluted source situation makes it one of music history’s great enigmas. There are practically no references to the original version that Monteverdi performed in Venice in 1643, as the score has not survived.
To celebrate the 450th anniversary of Monteverdi’s birth, this operatic masterpiece is appearing in an edition close to the presumed original. The new edition is based on the score prepared in Venice and found among the possessions of Francesco Cavalli.
This scholarly edition came about due to a remarkable project at the University of North Texas; it was compiled and edited by Hendrik Schulze and his students on the basis of the latest research findings concerning source evaluation, performance practice and the historical context.
- Urtext edition based on the full score edited by Hendrik Schulze et al.
- Detailed appendix with variant readings and additions from the Naples source
- Uncluttered piano part that lies well on the instrument
- Full score (BA8792) and vocal score (BA8792-90) available for sale
- Performance material (BA8792-72) available for hire