Want to be the first to hear latest news and find out about our exclusive promotions.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter:
Piano Sonatas III : Late Sonatas
Schubert Piano Sonatas III : Late Sonatas
Volume III of Schubert’s Piano Sonatas includes the tuneful, dance-like Sonata in G major D 894 (1827), sometimes called the “Fantasie” sonata, as well as the three great sonatas in C minor, A major and B-flat major (D 958, 959 and 960), which were conceived as a triptych and constitute the composer’s greatest contribution to the piano sonata genre. The works pay homage to the three late sonatas of Beethoven.
This scholarly-critical Urtext edition is based on the definitive musical text of the “New Schubert Edition” and presents the works in a spacious new engraving with practical page turns. It includes an informative Foreword and detailed notes (Ger/Eng) on central performance practice issues such as the use of pedals and Schubert’s distinctive manner of notating accents. It is rounded off by a Critical Commentary (Eng) with performance-related alternative readings. Schubert’s drafts for individual sonata movements can be accessed on the Bärenreiter website.
- Edited on the basis of the “New Schubert Edition”
- Access to Schubert’s drafts on the Bärenreiter website
- Includes valuable notes on performance practice during Schubert’s day (Ger/Eng)
- Sonata in G major D 894 [Schubert, Franz]
- Sonata in C minor D 958 [Schubert, Franz]
- Sonata in A major D 959 [Schubert, Franz]
- Sonata in B-flat major D 960 [Schubert, Franz]