Want to be the first to hear latest news and find out about our exclusive promotions.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter:
Tonhalle Zürich 1895-2021
Tonhalle Zürich 1895-2021
The Tonhalle in Zurich is an internationally recognised outstanding concert building. This richly illustrated volume presents the design and history as well as the architectural ideas behind its function as a music centre in the city. The history of the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich is embedded in this context and the restoration work and acoustic planning are portrayed.
The location of the Tonhalle at Lake Zurich combines an urban accent with the aspiration to secure a prominent place for music in the city. The concert halls preserve the Wilhelminian architecture with which the renowned Viennese firm Fellner & Helmer, specialists in the design of music buildings, realised a project in 1895 that was ingeniously planned in every detail, combining concerts and conviviality.
The Tonhalle Society Zurich has staged concerts in these concert halls since the opening where Johannes Brahms was the guest conductor of his own work, “Triumphlied”.
After a reconstruction and integration into the congress hall by Haefeli, Moser and Steiger, inaugurated in 1939, and subsequent changes, the entire building complex was extensively restored in the years 2017–2021. In the process, many of the original qualities could be recovered, so that through the combination of old and new, a fascinating music venue for the 21st century has emerged.
This volume includes contributions by Elisabeth Boesch, Dietrich Erben, Karlheinz Müller and Michael Wahl as well as Ulrike Thiele.
- About the Tonhalle Zurich, one of the best concert halls in the world
- An aesthetically and highly attractively illustrated volume
- With a German and English text
- "Zu diesem Buch / About this Book
- Bürgerstolz / Civic Pride
- Casino, Kornhaus und Komponistenhimmel Die musikalische (Vor-)Geschichte der Züricher Tonhalle / Casino, Kornhaus and Composer´s Heaven The Musical (Pre-)History of the Zürich Tonhalle
- Die Züricher Tonhalle Eine architekturgeschichtliche Szene / The Zürich Tonhalle A Scenary of Architectural History
- Anspruchsvolle Kunst und Gesellschaftliches Leben unter einem Dach Die Tonhalle am See: Stationen einer Verwandlung / Serious art and social life under one roof:The Tonhalle: Moments of Transformation / Gelungenes Finale mit Schlussakkord: Die renovierte Akustik der Tonhalle Zürich / Successfull finale an final chord: The Reimagined Acoustics of the Tonhalle Zürich
- Geschichte in Bildern / A History in Images
- Sanierung und Instandsetzung / Rehabilitation and Restoration
- Tonahlle Zürich 2021
- Dank / Acknowledgments
- Die Autorinnen und Autoren/ Abbildungsverzeichnis / Contributors / List of Illustrations"