Want to be the first to hear latest news and find out about our exclusive promotions.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter:
Il barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) (Vocal Score, hardback)
Rossini Il barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) (Vocal Score, hardback)
This edition is based on the critical edition of The Barber of Seville edited by Patricia B. Brauner and published in 2008 as part of the series Works of Gioachino Rossini. But who needs a new critical edition of The Barber of Seville? The opera has been performed in theatres throughout the world since 1816 and has never been absent from the repertoire. There are two reasons for a critical new edition: firstly, none of the early editions satisfy modern demands for a scholarly-critical edition. And secondly, there is a wealth of previously unpublished material relating to this opera, of great interest to both scholars and performers.
Thus the famous overture, which Rossini had already used in his earlier opera Aureliano in Palmira, differs noticeably from earlier editions in many places. The new edition enables performers to perform the overture either in its original scoring (as in Aureliano in Palmira), which includes two flutes, two oboes and timpani, or in the scoring for the subsequent opera The Barber of Seville (with just one flute, one oboe and no timpani).
- urtext edition based on the series Works of Gioachino Rossini.
- all versions and transpositions are included in the appendix to the study score.
- singing English translation in the vocal score by Amanda Holden
- takes into account all original sources, including five manuscripts with Rossini’s autograph ornamentation.
- takes into consideration the full extent of Rossini’s personal notational characteristics.
- study score contains a detailed foreword (Eng/Ital)
- Full score (BA10506), critical report (BA10506-40) & study score (TP411) available for sale; performance material (BA10506-72) available for hire