Missa in C minor (K.427) (Great Mass in C minor) (Study Score)
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
Mozart Missa in C minor (K.427) (Great Mass in C minor) (Study Score)
Mozart’s magnificent unfinished “Great Mass in C minor K.427” is impressive not only for its monumentality and musical beauty but for its fragmentary state which has fascinated scholars and performers for decades.
Working together with the International Mozarteum Foundation in Salzburg, Barenreiter now presents a new edition of this work, reflecting the cutting edge of scholarship while doing justice to the needs of performers.
High scholarly standards, the completion and reconstruction of movements: this pioneering publication incorporates all this in order to come as close as possible to the work itself:
- The “Kyrie” and “Gloria”, both of which survive complete in Mozart’s hand, are edited in accordance with scholarly standards.
- The first two sections of the “Credo” have been meticulously completed by the editor Ulrich Leisinger, drawing on original Mozart compositions e.g. the aria “Deh vieni non tardar” from “The Marriage of Figaro” and paying attention to a stylistically appropriate and transparent sound.
- The “Sanctus” and “Benedictus” (with the “Hosanna”), which are either incomplete or survive only in secondary sources, have been reconstructed by the editor.
Sections without any known sources are left out in this edition. Rounding off the publication is an extensive Foreword (Ger/Eng).
- Edition of those sections of the Mass surviving in complete form
- Reconstruction of movements handed down in fragmentary form
- Completion of the incomplete movements
- Reconstructed or added parts rendered in small print
- Full score & parts (BA9188) vocal score (BA9188-90) and study score format 22.5 x 16.5cm (TP988) available for sale